- Senior level executive with over 20 years of experience in the supply chain software and marketing management.
- Well rounded marketing executive with management team experience in marketing operations, P&L responsibilities for 5 software startups and building winning market segmentations around solid marketing budgets.
- Experienced leader in successfully building new teams (managed over 300 people) and retaining staff in fast paced environments and managing diverse organizations by motivating and empowering staff through operational excellence.
- Exceptional skills in strategic operations and financial planning, cross functional operations performance measurements and new product development that applies technology in such a way that it ameliorates the way people work.
- Demonstrated success in consistently bulding performance measurement and enhancement tools/programs so marketing operations was staffed and funded for an aggressive growth and acquisitions schedule.
- Extensive international experience and education including living abroad for over 3 years, working in over 20 countries and a Masters in International Marketing from the world’s formost international business graduate school.
- Proven track record in achieving outstanding financial performance by meeting or exceeding revenue and profit goals.
Marketing Whisperers, Ltd. (Edmonds,WA)
"We help marketing with people problems." Within any corporation the success of a given marketing program lies in the hands of five, or less, people. Our group brings better communications to this small group to better enable worldwide marketing programs.
Founder/President (7/02 to Present)
- Completed marketing and operational due diligence on VC backed software corporations for future funding rounds
- Assisted in the development of several start-up business plans,
- Completed management teams and produced models for processing raw data from market research into solid budgets and operational planning schedules
- Produced software marketing solutions to several software corporations for their operational and distribution needs based on insights from previous research into their target markets diverse supply chains and trading partners.
Vizional Technologies, Inc. (Santa Monica,CA) Supply Chain software focused on loosely coupled Order and Inventory Synchronization systems.
Vice President of Strategic Solutions (6/01 to 5/02)
- Development and P&L responsibilities for Order and Multi-mode transportation software modules
- Designed top down outline for first Vizional Integration Adaptor (VIA) for supply chain integration
- Introduced key accounts to Vizional Technologies, Inc. based on online market research
- Worked with Pre-Sales in developing Release Management capabilities to ease support operations
CHANGEPLAN.COM, INC. (Mukilteo,WA) B2B hybrid portal/hub that chronologically hosts the birth and subsequent optimizations of all P.O.’s necessary to complete a single manufactured product through multiple supplier tiers
CEO/President (1/99 to 6/01)
- Designed and produced a chronological database and search engine for B2B integration
- Conducted primary and secondary SMORG market research to determine buyers stratification within different verticals and built financial planning with P&L responsibilities for successfully capturing these markets
- Chosen to be one of eleven presenters, out of hundreds, at the Washington Software Alliance (WSA) Investment Forum 2000, June 15th, 2000 based on product innovation and out-of-the-box yet successful marketing programs
Microsoft Corporation (Redmond,WA) A very large software corporation..
World-Wide Market Development Manager – Business –to-Business (B2B) eCommerce (1/96 to1/99)
- Founder of the Microsoft Value Chain Initiative (VCI) that has led Microsoft into business-to-business (B2B) eCommerce worldwide.
- Managed market operations, trade shows, product launches, national and international keynotes, software integration tools and benefits.
- Championed XML when management hated this technology.
- Managed over 180 independent supply chain software vendors (ISV) that joined together in the VCI to move towards product integration using the Microsoft platform. Marketing operations and $5million budget plus co-marketing $$.
- The VCI participated heavily in the launch and beta programs for: Merchant Server, Site Server, BizTalk Server, Transaction Server, NT and SQL . Cross-functional execution made VCI a leader in product planning.
- Logistics Management (Nov.1997) “… Mark Walker is a rising star” in B2B eCommerce
SHEPARDS – McGraw-Hill (Colorado Springs, CO)
Software Market Manager (4/94 to 12/95)
- Consolidated product design, packaging and image for better brand recognition reduced cost 28% ($1.2MM in first year) and increased sales 48% (from $900M to $4.5MM in 18 months).
- Awarded 30% of the promotional budget for 1994 and based on successes was given 69% of 1995's.
- Conducted primary and secondary market research which was reflected in both product and packaging for five (5) separate products streamlining market operations during two competeing corporations acquisition
- Marketed and signed all major beta accounts and used their CEO’s as keynotes for these product’s launch(s) at the Heckerling 95 trade show in Miami
NOTE : I worked as COO/President of MATCOMP concurrently while with Shepard’s as they evaluated the merits of purchasing this software outright from MATCOMP instead of white-labeling our software
Compliance Software Solutions, Inc. (Bayfield, CO)
EVP Marketing/ Business Development (Co-Founder) (6/90 to 12/93)
- Link on-line support to product design via heuristically managed sorting engine (from MATCOMP)
- Won 60% market share after only two years when the company left Denver
- Drove top-down design to product midpoint and then orchestrated alpha/beta/product launch dates and clients.
- Conducted primary and secondary market research which was melded with product development so fewer changes were necessary at mid-point. Operational responsibility for P&L and budgets with sales at $16MM after 2 years.
- Product launch was keynoted by Ciba-Geigy AG (main beta customer) CEO. This was so successful that less than a year later Ciba-Geigy bought Compliance Solutions.
MATCOMP International Company (Denver, CO)
CEO / President (Founder) (2/85 to 5/90)
- Designed product launch focusing on international petroleum majors and used three (3) different international trade shows to launch our products.
- Our materials management systems tracked and maintained billions in oilfield equipment
- Designed a hyper-media tutorial workstation for the DOD & DARPA that revolutionized military training processes using touch sensitive hypermedia workstations.
AMOCO International Corporation (Houston, TX)
Administrative Manager (3/80 to 1/85)
- Opened, staffed and managed a new exploration office in the Northern Territories of Australia. Managed operations with over a $1,000,000 a month in expenses. Sourced materials in Singapore and Hong Kong monthly.
- Built a mainframe materials management software system that reduced overseas operational costs in 1984 by over $7MM. Purchased system from Amoco and founded MATCOMP and was in black after first license agreement.
- Delivered 24 wild, west Texas turkeys to the Royal Game Preserve in Gabon, West Africa. The transportation logistics were incredible. Reduced infant mortality from poisonous snakes by over 30% after 3 years.
Accepted for PhD. In Economics Rice University
M.B.A. International Marketing American Graduate School (T-Bird)
B.A. Political Science/International Law Colorado State University
Chairperson - American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life (Snohomish County)
Founder – Migrant Electron Farmers United (non-profit)
International Who’s Who of Professionals
American Management Association International
Harvard’s Key Man Club
International Snow Leopard Foundation (Marketing & Operations Volunteer)
Supply Chain Council (SCOR) (member since 1996)
(Personal References Available Upon Request)